Friday, September 6, 2013

The power of the boy band

Even in America, many people are familiar with the K-pop music scene.  It was actually one of the things I was really excited to experience while in Korea, and let me say, it hasn't let me down.

Now, the beauty of k-pop music is that it's basically the 90s pop scene reincarnated in Korea.  Of course, back in the day I was all about the pop music.  I was the perfect age when all of the BSB/NSync/Spice Girls mania was going on, and it was AWESOME.  So, when I learned there is a huge pop music scene in Korea, obviously I was pretty pumped about it.

Since I've been in Korea, I've been able to watch a ton of K-pop music videos via my Korean cable.  It brings me right back to my childhood--the dance moves, the music videos, the marketing, it's all the same.

So needless to say, my day was totally made when I got to witness the power of the this mania at school. While the students eat lunch, there is a huge tv that is turned on--usually to a channel that shows K-pop performers.  Today there was a boy band on one of the shows (unfortunately I don't the names of them all yet), but every time one of the guys would look at the camera the certain way or bust out a dance move, all the girls in the cafeteria went CRAZY.  They would just start screaming and laughing, and it was really just the best lunchtime entertainment I could have asked for.

It makes my heart so happy to know the wondrous allure of the boy band still lives on, even if it's on the other side of the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment