Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Test That Determines Everything.

Tomorrow is the day that many students all across Korea have been preparing for since they were children.  Tomorrow is the college entrance exam.

I wrote about this briefly in my earlier post about Korean schools, but this test, also known as the CSAT, is the test that alone determines which college or university Korean students will be able to attend.  Students who do well will get to go to their dream schools. Students who do poorly will have their dreams shattered or have to wait for another year to take the test again.

I wish I could say that I was over-exaggerating the importance of this exam, but unfortunately this is the reality in Korea.

The third year students at Jeomchon High School have always been somewhat of an enigma to me.  They aren't allowed to attend any of the school field trips or festivals because they "need to study."  These students are always studying.  In fact, I don't teach third graders at school because speaking isn't on the CSAT, and therefore they need to spend their time practicing grammar and the other English skills that are tested.  It simply isn't a priority for them to spend time with the native speaker because it isn't seen as essential for their success on the test.

Students have been busy this week cleaning the school in preparation for the test tomorrow.  I also didn't have some classes this week because my students needed to practice their cheering for the seniors.  Their cheering?!  Yes, you read correctly. We did not have classes so they could practice cheering.  Just cheering for the seniors before the exam is more important than having classes.

Today I got to see the cheering in action as we had a ceremony for the seniors.  Basically the principal gave some words of encouragement to the seniors, then there was this big pinata-type thing they opened, the students did their cheers for the seniors, and finally the students all lined up along the hill and cheered for the seniors as they left school and went home.

All of the 3rd year students.  Sadly, it was raining.
The Principal addresses the students


Pinata type thing...and fireworks.



3rd graders march out of school
The students line up on the hill and cheer for the seniors as they exit





All week I have been able to feel the stress, anticipation, and overall importance of this test.  All week long we have been given rice cakes and other "lucky" foods to eat.  Tomorrow morning the stock exchange and other businesses will open an hour later to ensure that there is not traffic on the road for test takers.  Police will line the streets and assist any students who are running late.  Airplane schedules are fixed so that there are no distractions from air traffic.  The entire country adjusts because the test is just THAT absolutely important.

Parents, friends, and other family members will line up outside of the school tomorrow to cheer on the students.  Some parents will head to churches or temples to pray for their child's success.  This test means everything to these students and these families.

Now, I don't even know the third graders, but I still find myself feeling like a nervous wreck for them.  The tension in the air is palpable, and I cannot even begin to imagine how it feels to actually have to go through this grueling process.  Students who don't do well not only feel sad for themselves, but they feel like a failure for their entire family, who has often spent loads of money on their education over the years.

This week has been somewhat surreal for me.  Every time I witnessed something being done for "good luck", I couldn't hep but think, why should luck be any part of an education system or anyone's future?  What does it say about an education system when years of work comes down to a few hours and luck?  Does that not seem absolutely insane to people?  I know this is just the way it is, and it's not just the way it is in Korea, it's this way throughout Asia.  China and Japan both have similar tests, so the competition is fierce. Nonetheless, my heart breaks for these kids.

After the sending off ceremony for the seniors today, I saw some of my second grade students entering the school.  They looked sad, and I asked them what was wrong.

"Oh, teacher, now we are third graders.. Nooooo, we don't want to be third grade!"

These students know they're next.  They know what they're in for over the next year.  Their countdown starts now. This test has become a right of passage for students, but that doesn't mean they look forward to it by any means.  I know the second grade students, and have come really like some of them. I cringe to think about them going through this next year.

This is a link to a 20 minute documentary about education in Korea.  Please take some time and watch it.  I promise it's worth it.

http://vimeo.com/24642646

No comments:

Post a Comment