Monday, December 16, 2013

What do you know about Christmas?

Today I started class by asking my students what they think of when they think of Christmas so I could make a list on the board before we began our lesson. What did everyone start yelling out when I asked the question?

Christmas trees?
No.

Santa Claus?
Nope.

Baby Jesus?
Not at all.

The answer that was so forcefully thrown my way was.....

"Kevin!!"

Now, perhaps you are confused by this.  Kevin?

Yes, remember that movie we watched a million times when we were younger with the little boy named Kevin?  Yes, Home Alone. Well, it's apparently the most popular Christmas movie in Korea, but they don't call it Home Alone, they call it "Kevin".

Naturally when my students all started shouting this out I couldn't help but laugh.  Not just because of the answer, but because just this weekend my friends were telling me about this phenomenon.  They told me that when I asked that question that would be the first thing everyone would shout out.  And sure enough, they couldn't be more right.  Apparently Home Alone is shown on just about every tv station all day on Christmas.

Why Home Alone?  I couldn't tell you. But the fact that they call it "Kevin" just makes it even more hilarious to me.

Four months in, and Korea is still full of surprises.

Oh, and one other random thing.  They don't have candy canes in Korea.  How is it supposed to really feel like Christmas without candy canes?   I thought I must just have been missing them in Homeplus, but I asked around and my worst fears were confirmed.  Apparently candy canes just aren't a part of Christmas in Korea.

What a shame, but at least I know I can get more than my fill of Home Alone. I guess that counts for something?

3 comments:

  1. You can get candy canes at Costco or on gmarket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I asked my co-teacher if she has seen them around here and she said no. But then I asked the students and they said yes, although they couldn't tell me where. I am going to Seoul this weekend, so I'm thinking maybe I'll have more luck in the city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed out loud at this...during class!

    ReplyDelete