Sunday, July 6, 2014

Reach to Teach Blog Carnival: Making the Decision to Become an ESL Teacher

Today I'm hosting Reach to Teach's monthly blog carnival. The blog carnival is a monthly series that focuses on providing helpful tips and advice to ESL teachers around the globe. If you'd like to contribute to next month's Blog Carnival, please contact Dean at dean@reachtoteachrecruiting.com, and he will let you know how you can start participating! 

One of the things I love most about meeting expats while living abroad is hearing about how other people decided to jump into the world of ESL teaching. Despite the different places we've been in the past and the different directions we're headed in the future, we all somehow managed to stumble upon the same career for at least a short period in our lives. 

Given my fascination with hearing these stories, this month bloggers were asked to write about how they arrived at the decision to become ESL teachers. I hope you enjoy reading these stories as much as I have! 
_____     ______     ______     _____     _____     ______     ______     _____     _____
So there it was, one fateful dinner with my yoda-but-not-yoda aunty had once again put me on the path to my future. So I took this new found destiny and I played with it and shaped it, stretched it, twisted it, and slowly but surely molded it into my own version of what I wanted it to be.  That is how I came on to the idea of teaching abroad in ESL.

My name is Dean, I have been traveling for around 4 years now with a small stint back in my home country. I’m from the UK and I began my teaching career on the island of Bali. I then made the move to Taiwan where I currently reside. Here I have the joy to fulfill my passion for writing by providing ESL/travel related articles to the Reach To Teach website.
A reader question is answered for all; advice on facing your fears about teaching English abroad.

Jessica has taught English in both Thailand and China, and she now recruits teachers to do the same at Teach English: ESL. She also continues to travel and write about it at MissAdventure Travel.

I never set out to become an ESL teacher. Although I always wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, I never realized ESL was even a subject one could teach. Through a series of events and circumstances described in this post - and less thought than you'd think - I have now taught ESL in Madison, WI; Madrid, Spain; and Yongin, Korea.

I’m a Wisconsin-native currently teaching English at a rural elementary school in South Korea.  My Spanish skills aren’t quite as useful here as they were when I lived in Madrid, which is where my Spanish nickname Rebe (Ray-bay) stuck.  I have an itch to travel, craft, learn, and read – and to make the world a better place!

Before teaching abroad, I wanted a career working in a foreign country. When that didn't work out as I had planned post graduation, I had to carve a new path.

Liane is currently working in Texas as a High School Social Studies Teacher.  She attended Texas State University for International Relations and has since been working abroad for two years.  From 2011-2013 she worked as an English Teacher in Thailand, Georgia, and The Czech Republic.  

How I attempted to use ESL teaching to sneak my way into my dream career and travel the world and how it changed my life.

Mary Ellen has taught English in Peru, Georgia (the country!) and the Dominican Republic. She now lives in New Orleans where she dances to brass band music, eats jambalaya and only wears Mardi Gras beads when it is Mardi Gras, like every sane, non-tourist person.

Ten great reasons to become an English Teacher. #9. You’re addicted to that feeling you get when you see the light go on in a student’s face, that moment when a topic clicks for them and they really understand it; it’s like watching Isaac Newton getting bonked on the head.

I've been on the road, on and off, for seven years and counting. I've backpacked through South America, lived in a caravan in the Australian outback, traveled with my mum in South East Asia, and taught English in Taiwan. I'm currently tutoring high school students and teaching business ESL in Canada. This summer I'm doing a trek to raise money for the Roots and Wings foundation in Kyrgyzstan:
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/jamiemphillips/karakolhike

I've always wanted to travel, so after I obtained my degree in Secondary Education I was instantly interested in teaching abroad.  However, after I landed a teaching job in my home state my plans were put on hold for a year.  Here's how I made the decision to leave behind an awesome life in America to pursue the unknown in Korea.

I am a New Hampshire native and a proud graduate of the University of New Hampshire. After teaching at a high school in New Hampshire for a year, I decided to leave my life behind and move to South Korea.  I am currently teaching at a High School in Mungyeong, South Korea with amazing co-workers and students alike. I am currently enjoying the challenges, surprises, and lessons that come with living abroad, and I couldn't be happier about my decision to move to Korea!



7 comments: